As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
What to do before and after microneedling? Microneedling is one of the commonly performed cosmetic procedures today. It is a dermaroller procedure that pricks the skin using small needles. It is effective in helping the skin generate new collagen and skin tissue leading to a firm, smooth, and toned skin. It is primarily done on the face and targets wrinkles, fine lines, large pores, and scars.
A high-quality microneedling pen is used, which vibrates and has small needles to prick the skin. Although the word “needle” may sound scary, the truth is microneedling facial is a minimally invasive and is considered safe for people in perfect health. Very fine short needles that range in diameter from 0.5 to 2.5 millimeters are inserted into the skin. Do not be afraid as the punctures are like pin-pricks that enter on the surface level of the skin.
It is a promising procedure and a lot of people from all over the world undergo such procedure because your skin will look pink, plump, and luminous for a couple of weeks. It makes the skin radiant and boosts the skin’s collagen and elastin production by up to 400%. However, to get the most out of the microneedling procedure, there are a few things you need to keep in mind for pre-microneedling care and microneedling aftercare.
Best Selling Microneedling Products
Quick Facts About Microneedling Benefits
- Microneedling before and after wrinkles, acne: Microneedling can significantly reduce the formation of fine lines, wrinkles, and acne scars.
- During the treatment, there is a possibility of pinpoint bleeding, but nothing serious as the procedure is a minimally invasive one.
- Before the start of the treatment, a numbing cream is applied.
- Microneedling results how long? In just 3 days after the treatment, you will notice a significant improvement on your skin such as visibly smoother and radiant skin.
- After 3 months, you will be able to notice the full bloom effect of the microneedling procedure.
- The procedure is perfect for any skin type.
- With regular procedure, microneedling before and after stretch marks will eventually go away and won’t return at all.
- There are available DIY dermarollers out there but they are different from the microneedling procedure itself as the latter is performed by a dermatologist or a licensed esthetician.
What to Do Before Microneedling?
- Make sure your skin is in its calm state before microneedling facial. Watch out for any signs of exfoliation as it could do more harm than good if the skin is in a vulnerable state.
- Discontinue skin medications 3 to 5 days before microneedling. This includes vitamin A creams, retinol, and Retin A, to name a few.
- Avoid auto-immune therapies and products a day before microneedling facial.
- Avoid prolonging exposure to direct heat of the sun 24 hours before the treatment as a sunburnt skin is contraindicated.
- If you are taking aspirin or blood-thinning drugs, you have to inform the technician as you could be prone to bleeding.
- If you have just undergone Botox, you have to wait for at least two weeks before undergoing a microneedling procedure.
After the treatment, your skin feels tight, warm, and with noticeable pinkish/mildly red discoloration of the face. Don’t worry as these will eventually subside after a few hours. In some people with sensitive skin, it would take a day or two for the side effects to subside. Just make sure you strictly adhere to the post microneedling aftercare instructions and everything will be okay.
Do the following after Microneedling: What to Put on Skin After Microneedling?
- Wash your face before bedtime using gentle facial cleanser to get rid of the serum and dried blood.
- You can go back to a regular skincare regimen 48 hours post microneedling. It is highly recommended to use retinol products for optimal results.
- If you are experiencing a sensitivity reaction after the session, you can apply Aloe Vera or hydrocortisone cream. If you are experiencing discomfort, you might want to take Advil for pain relief.
- Keep your skin moisturized and hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids and using products that help restore the skin’s balance such as products containing hyaluronic acid.
Avoid the following after Microneedling
- Do not wear make-up or sunscreen for 12 hours post microneedling procedure.
- When cleansing your skin 72 hours post-treatment, make sure you use lukewarm water and avoid using any powered cleansing facial brush.
- Do not use alcohol-based toners for at least 14 days/2 weeks. Exfoliating products are a big NO too. You must remember that your skin is healing and regenerating at the same time and any abrasive measures can disrupt the natural healing process of the skin.
- Avoid excessive exposure to the heat of the sun for 10 days. If you must go outside, make sure you wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen.
- Do not use active skincare products for at least 2 hours post microneedling such as vitamin C, vitamin A, beta hydroxyl, and alpha hydroxyl acids.
- Do not go swimming 24 hours post-treatment.
- Do not engage in strenuous activities for the first 24 hours post microneedling session as excessive sweating may have an adverse effect on your skin.
- Do not use exfoliating products or diamond microdermabrasion kit, PMD microderm tools for the first 48 hours post-treatment.
- Avoid using products that could irritate the skin and clog your pores.
- Stay away from spray tan machine and spray tan solution.
- Stay away from ultrasonic cavitation tools for a few days.
- You can use coolsculpting belts after two days if you need them.
If you are targeting acne scars, it would take at least six microneedling sessions to notice visible results. For stretch marks and surgery-related scars, it would take at least 10 microneedling sessions to notice results. However, an interval of five weeks every treatment is necessary because of the aggressive trauma to the skin.
Caring for the skin should be practiced everyday. However, the skin is most sensitive when it is healing and that is why you have to give it the extra care to achieve optimal results from the microneedling treatment. Although microneedling may sound a serious procedure as it involves a needle, you have to be aware that it is a minimally-invasive skin rejuvenation procedure. If you wish to undergo a microneedling facial treatment but uncertain whether or not it is the best procedure for you, then do not hesitate to speak with your doctor.
- What to do after a spray tan?- 8 Spray Tan Aftercare Tips Get to know what to do after a spray tan and 8 spray tan aftercare tips - May 31, 2020
- 5 Biohacks to Remove Acne and Dark Spots from Your Skin This post reveals how to remove acne scars and dark spots from face naturally. - May 27, 2020
- What To Do And Not To Do Before And After Microneedling? Microneedling before and aftercare is necessary for desired effect on your skin and get the perfect microneedling result. - May 7, 2020