As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you are looking for the best indoor tanning lotion for fair skin, this article is everything you need.
Indoor tanning is a safe and easy option for getting a tanned skin quickly. It saves you from the trouble and boredom of going outside to spend hours under the sun or in a spray tan salon.
So, follow along with me. I promise you’ll get the perfect tan every time if you use these products and follow my guide.
Tanning is caused by dihydroxyacetone, a natural ingredient derived from sugar beet (1). Then the DHA is absorbed by the surface layer of your skin. The color cannot be washed right away. But as the dead skin cells get removed by time, so does the color, too.
It fades away and usually disappears after 5-7 days.
Now, let me walk you through about the types of indoor tanning lotions for fair skin.
You can also read – 10 Best Professional Spray Tan Machine To Buy in 2020
Types of indoor tanning lotions
Before buying a tanning lotion, you have to know what it’s about and what it does. This section will help you choose the best product according to your wishes and demand.
There are several different types of indoor tanning lotions
1. Accelerating Tanning Lotion
Accelerating tanning lotions are designed to amplify the self-tanning and tanning bed results (2). This is a very good choice if you are a beginner.
Common ingredients of these products include some quality natural ingredients, such as shea butter, coconut oil, or Aloe Vera. These products will moisturize and protect your skin. At the same time, you will enjoy consistent and natural-like results.
2. Bronzer Tanning Lotion
There are two types of bronzer tanning lotions, natural and DHA bronzers. Natural bronzers are made from natural, mostly plant-origin oils and substances that trigger and increase melanin production in your body.
Over time, your skin will naturally become tanned because of the melanin. The advantage of Bronzer tanning lotions is the fact that they contain no harmful chemicals. Instead, they are made from fully natural ingredients
Unfortunately, the disadvantage is the need to re-apply the bronzer as often as every 4 days.
The results of the DHA bronzers are also not long-lasting. Because the surface layer of dead cells quickly gets removed and so does the dye.
3. Tingle tanning lotions
Tingle lotions contain strong active ingredients that work on the principle of bringing more oxygen to the cells. As a result, skin appears to be darker than usual. These products ensure long-lasting results.
Now, let’s dive into our exciting top ten indoor tanning lotions review!
Top 10 Indoor Tanning Lotions for fair skin- Overall Best Sellers
10 Best Indoor Tanning lotion For Fair Skin Reviews
In this review, I am going to tell you about the top 10 best indoor tanning lotion for fair skin. I have checked hundreds of indoor tanning lotions on Amazon and chosen the best 10 by reading user reviews and satisfaction.
Besides, you will love any of these tanning lotions because of their quick action and flexibility of use. The results are visible within 60 minutes to several hours and your desired beautiful and glowing skin tone will be developed.
You’ll start seeing the full results after 8 hours.
For a naturally darker tan, it is good to choose lighter and medium-dark tones of indoor tanning lotions. Remember that you should not overdo the tone and application.
It is easy to cross the line going from a “natural” to an “artificial” look that is very unpleasant. Therefore, you should always apply the product gradually in thin layers.
1. Millennium Tanning Products: Solid Black Tanning Lotion– #1 best seller
If you have ever tried to buy a dark tanning lotion, the chances are you have seen this product already. It is a very strong tan enhancer that has satisfied thousands of customers like you. You can even use the Millennium Solid Black tanner as a self-tanner.
The darkness level you will get depends on how many sessions you use it.
- It moisturizes and nurtures your skin.
- There is no risk of discoloration, orange tones, and dark spots.
- Even results on your face, neck, legs, arms, stomach, and back.
- This product contains ultra-moisturizing elements
- Not suitable for people with super fair skin.
2. Ed Hardy Coconut Kisses Golden Tanning Lotion – Best skin softening tanning lotion
This tanning lotion by Ed Hardy is best suitable for people who want ultra-soft skin along with a perfect tan. The lovely smell of coconut milk and coconut oil will instantly relax your mind.
Aside from Coconut oil, it contains seed oil, seed butter, banana fruit extract, aloe vera, vitamin E, vitamin C, and moisturizing glycerin. All of these natural ingredients are to make sure the best protection for your skin and darker tanning results
The materials used in this lotion increase the melanin production significantly more than a regular tan enhancer.
You will get the best tanning results without even using bronzer agents.
- Smells excellent
- Increased melanin production
- long lasting tan
- Does not leave greasy traces.
- slightly expensive
- some people get burns
Finally, I can say that this product by Ed Hardy is the best option if you want an even tan with soft skin.
3. Skinerals Californium Sunless Bronzer – Best bronzer with natural ingredients
This amazing product by Skinerals is popular among beginners. You will always get consistent and very natural results. You will love the charming bronze color without ugly orange tones. It contains fruit extracts, plant oils, and essential oils.
Besides, this product contains some valuable natural ingredients, such as precious plant oils. It contains minerals instead of chemicals. It is gentle towards your skin and you don’t have to worry about getting any burns or orange skin.
You should apply the lotion with a hand cloth for the best results. The product is suitable for all skin types, besides fair skin.
- Very consistent results
- Ideal for all skin types
- contains plant oils
- doesn’t contain harmful chemicals
- applicable on body and face
- Tanning process is a little slow
I can promise that this sunless bronzer by Skinerals is an excellent choice for you.
Besides, it is good for all skin types, so you can even share it with your friends!
4. Golden Star Beauty Antiaging Self Tan Serum – Best Anti-aging Self-tanner For Face
This product is completely different from the majority of indoor tanning lotions. Golden Star Beauty dermatologists and cosmetologists developed a sunless tanning serum formula that acts as an anti-aging product! It contains invaluable hyaluronic acid, vitamin B, and organic rosehip oil. This combination removes fine wrinkles and stops the deepening of existing wrinkles.
You will get smooth, youthful, natural-like tanned skin that glows with irresistible shine and energy. This product doesn’t clog your pores and does not cause acne or dark spots. It improves your skin elasticity.
It is suitable for both men and women. It’s good for all skin types, especially fair skin. You will notice that this extraordinary product enables perfect fade. There is no discoloration, nor orange tones.
- anti-aging effect.
- does not clog your pores and does not cause acne.
- no orange tones and fades perfectly even.
- good for all skin types.
- needs to be reapplied frequently
In my opinion, this is one of the best indoor tanning lotions for fair skin. Its rosehip oil and vitamin B effects will work magic for your skin.
Hyaluronic acid will correct your fine wrinkles. It is perfect for people in their 30s for getting an instantly younger look.
5. Australian Gold, Cheeky Brown Accelerator Natural Bronzer– Best Instant Natural Bronzer
This is my best natural bronzer for quick action and darker results. If you’ve been suddenly invited to a special occasion and need an instant glow, this lotion is for you.
Or maybe you just don’t like to wait for your glowing skin, all I know is this product will give you darker results instantly.
The secret behind the flawless instant bronze skin is the combination of Caramel and Beta Carotene. It also contains Herbal DNA which ensures intense moisture for your skin and skin-loving antioxidants.
- super fast tanning results
- flawless bronze skin
- contains Aloe Vera and Vitamins
- smells excellent because of CocaDreams fragrance
- You must avoid contact with water for 8 hours after the application.
6. Fake Bake Flawless Self-Tan Liquid – Best sef-tanning liquid
If you prefer olive-tone and bronze-tone skin, look no more. This product will guarantee you the most gorgeous olive-tone tanning results. You will get a natural-like, attractive tan with an irresistible bronze glow.
Long-lasting results are guaranteed with special ingredients, such as DMI, DHA, and Erythrulose. These ingredients are reinforced with organic, 100% natural ingredients.
The product does not contain artificial fragrances. It will not stain your clothes, nor leave a greasy trace. You don’t have to worry about orange tones and discoloration. You are guaranteed to get positive results. You will get even complexion.
- Final results are obtained within only 4 hours.
- Long-lasting results.
- Paraben-free product.
- Suitable for all skin types.
- You have to avoid water for several hours.
Finally, I can say that this product is among the very best indoor tanning lotions for your consideration. You will get lovely olive-tone, natural-like tan with a bronze glow. The results last longer than with other similar lotions. It is paraben-free and suitable for all types of skin.
7. Fake Bake Darker Formula Airbrush Instant Self-Tanning Liquid – Editor’s Choice
Here’s another amazing indoor tanning lotion for fair skin by Fake Bake. If you want a self-tanning liquid with instant results, this is the best product for you.
Suppose you are invited to a party that starts only 4 hours later. You want to have that irresistible, sexy tan and glow, but it is too late now. No, it’s not late! You can get an amazing bronze tan with Fake Bake Darker Formula Instant Self-Tanning Lotion.
This magical tanning liquid uses 3 active ingredients: DHA, DMI, and Erythrulose. The principle behind this particular product is in activating and reinforcing your skin’s natural pigments.
So, if you have fair skin, you still have some pigments, but they are not very active. This product will wake them up and amplify their activity.
You will love your amazing bronze tan only several hours after the first application. If you want a deeper, darker tone, look no more.
- Non-sticky formula.
- Fast-drying product.
- Good for all skin types.
- Perfect for darker tones.
- Instant results.
- You need to have the airbrush/spray machine to apply this product.
Finally, you will love this indoor tanning lotion as it will save you each time you need to obtain perfect tanning results in a short time. Its active ingredients are gentle towards your skin, but guarantee extra dark results in only 4 hours.
8. Bahama Tan Sunless Spray – Best Organic Sunless Spray
This organic and natural ingredients-based sunless tanning spray comes with a pump spray and a tanning mitt. It does not contain parabens, mineral oils, formaldehyde, alcohol, PABA, fillers, nor artificial fragrances. It is based on olive, sunflower, and Argan oil. These oils will not only guarantee the perfect, bronze tan but protect your skin and ensure long-lasting results.
It is easy to apply. You can use it on your vacation or at home. The spray pump is very convenient. It does not leave stains, marks, nor greasy traces.
Moreover, you can choose nuance suitable for your natural skin tone. You can also control the intensity of the tanner by applying it from one to four days in a row for the light, medium, dark, or extra dark result.
- Color develops after 6-8 hours.
- The product is free of all harmful substances.
- Olive, sunflower, and argan oils will smoothen your skin.
- There is no risk of orange tones.
- No discoloration risks.
- Even fading is guaranteed.
- You have to repeat the process after 4 days for color consistency.
Finally, I can say that this is a high-quality product with precious argan oil. Olive and sunflower oil will make your skin look wonderful and attractive.
It is easy to apply and maintain the result.
9. The Sicilian 200X Double Dark Black Bronzer– Best Bronzer for Ultra-dark results
This product has the highest level of DHA among all the products in my list. But that doesn’t make it harmful for your skin because it is combined with moisturizing elements and anti-oxidants.
While high DHA level gives you an ultra-dark tan, the anti-oxidants soften your skin. I assure you that you don’t need to worry about damaging your skin in any way.
- ultra-dark results
- extreme silicone with antioxidants for skin softening
- restores dry skin
- smells great
- banana fruit extract
- dark tan won’t build if not applied carefully
In conclusion, if you are afraid to damage your skin by getting a super dark tan, this product is made for you.
Fear is a prison, and the days of imprisonment are over. Just buy this product
10. Designer Skin Black 20x Self-Tanning Lotion – Best Dark Bronzer For Fair Skin
This luxurious indoor tanning lotion by Designer Skin will provide excellent, natural-like, and attractive bronze skin tan results with a smooth feel on your skin. It is very efficient and effective. You will enjoy the results very soon after the first application of the product.
Tan extenders ensure long-lasting results. The product contains amino acids responsible for consistent, even, and durable bronze tan.
You will love the amazing citrus smell. This product is used by professionals in beauty salons around the world.
- You will enjoy the fast results.
- Long-lasting, attractive, bronze skin tan.
- Mesmerizing citrus smell will make you enjoy even more.
- Your skin will be smooth and silky.
- The product is more expensive than other self-tanning lotions presented in this review.
Finally, I can say that this product definitely deserves a place on our top ten self-tanning skin lotions review list. It is also one of the most luxurious products in this category.
It is the favorite product of many celebrities enjoying attractive, consistent bronze complexion. You will love quick, consistent, long-lasting results and silky skin.
Benefits of Indoor Tanning
There are many benefits to indoor tanning. More and more people opt for this solution. Celebrities choose indoor tanning exclusively. Why? Let’s find out!
1. Reduced skin cancer risk
With ozone damages and holes, the natural sun rays have become even more dangerous for our skin. Experts say that indoor tanning significantly reduces skin cancer risks due to a shorter period of harmful UV-rays exposure (2).
2. Vitamin D booster
Vitamin D is essential for the proper and healthy functioning of your organism. What happens with people who live in areas without enough sunny days in a year? What about people who live in areas with polar winters, i.e. periods of several months of darkness? This is why indoor tanning can be extremely beneficial for you.
3. Reduced scar visibility
Another thing I love about indoor tanning is the magical ability to reduce the visibility of our stretch-marks and scars. Only a few sessions are enough to make these enemies of attractive look almost invisible.
Tanning Bed Tips for Beginners
Here are some useful tanning bed tips that truly make the difference:
- Benefit from applying quality tanning lotion.
- Thoroughly exfoliate your skin before your tanning bed session.
- Take a shower before the session.
- Never stay in the tanning bed longer than the professionals suggest. Your first session should be as short as six minutes.
- Always protect your eyes with goggles. Your eyes can experience serious damage if you don’t protect them during the tanning bed session.
- Never repeat the tanning session within 48 hours. Your skin can suffer damage if you repeat the tanning bed treatment within two days from the first session. Experts say that you should never use tanning beds more than twice a week.
- Benefit from tan extenders that will minimize your need for re-visiting the tanning bed.
- Don’t exaggerate with the tanning bed sessions, especially if you are a beginner.
- Use the best indoor tanning lotions with low chemical content.
- Remember to moisturize your skin every day.
Side effects of indoor tanning
The tanning color of your skin results from dead or damaged skin cells. But you don’t need to worry because your skin cells will naturally grow back when your tan is over. When dihydroxyacetone(DHA) from the tanning lotion mixes with amino acids in your skin, it creates a browning reaction.
If you use too much tanning lotion, some DHA can slip through your skin and enter your bloodstream. And that is a serious matter of health concern. So use the lotion carefully and minimally, don’t overuse in the greed of a darker tan.
Some people might have an allergic reaction to DHA, which can cause problems.
How to apply tanning lotion?
You can use indoor tanning lotions independently from tanning bed treatments and sessions. You can also use it for a tanning bed treatment that will amplify the results. Moreover, the role of indoor tanning lotions for tanning bed sessions is also protective. The best Indoor tanning lotions will create a thin film on your skin that protects it from the negative impacts of the artificial tanning bed rays (3). Now, let’s learn how to apply tanning lotion.
First, remember that you should wait at least one day after shaving if you want to use an indoor tanning lotion. Otherwise, you might experience not so pleasant orange dots on the shaved areas.
Then you should gently, yet thoroughly exfoliate your skin. Pay attention to all areas that you will later apply the lotion on. Focus on your knees, elbows, feet, and hands. These are zones prone to damage, thickened, and cracked skin. You should generously moisturize these zones.
Then, apply a thin and even layer of the lotion on your body (on all zones you want to treat). I recommend using a tanning mitt. If you want to protect your hands or use gloves, rinse them thoroughly immediately after using the lotion.
Go to the tanning bed treatment 30 to 60 minutes after applying the tanning lotion. Also, avoid tanning lotions that cause burning sensations or temperature feeling, as you will not be comfortable in the tanning bed.
Can you use indoor tanning lotions outside?
Yes, you can use some of the tanning lotions that aren’t specified as “for indoor use only”. But I don’t recommend using indoor tanning lotions outside because you will be facing some problems. One of the problems is that Indoor tanning lotions can’t protect you from the sun.
Another problem is the tanning lotions aren’t water-resistant. So it will wash off if you dive into the water or get too sweaty. The lotion will also make your skin look greasy, which will be unpleasant for you and for those looking at you. I recommend that you just use the regular sunscreen or the moisturizer that is made of outdoor uses.
How often should you tan?
I don’t see you needing a tan more than once per month. It’s not about how often you “should” tan, it’s about how often you want a tan. Do not expose yourself to indoor tanning lotions more than once every 48 hours.
Experts say that even those of you who are used to indoor tanning should not expose themselves to these treatments more than 2 times a week.
You can use tan extenders to prolong the lifetime of your tanned skin tone. This will make the tanning bed visits less often.
I hope that this article has enriched your knowledge of indoor tanning, risks, and benefits. I also hope that you’ll get your perfect tanning glow by following the guidelines.
Enjoy your tanned skin safely and responsibly with the best indoor tanning lotion!
Let me know if you have any further questions regarding tanning or any personal care concerns. I’ll also love to hear if you want such informative articles about a topic you want to know about.
- Ciriminna R. et al. Dihydroxyacetone: An Updated Insight into an Important Bioproduct. Published online on: 2018 Mar 06. Found online on:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5838383/
- Garone M. et al. A Review of Common Tanning Methods. Published online on: 2015 Feb. Found online on: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4345932/
- Rogers C.J. Spray-on Tanning. Published online on: 01 July 2005. Found online on: https://academic.oup.com/asj/article/25/4/413/190507
- Best tanning bed lotion reviews 2020
- How to prepare for a spray tan?
- 5 amazing ways to remove acne and dark spots
- Best Tingle Tanning lotion Reviews
- Best tips on Showering After Spray Tanning
- The Best Hair Removal Laser Device Reviews Find the 7 best hair removal laser devices reviews - June 21, 2020
- The Best Hair Removal Laser Device UK To Buy In 2020-Reviews Find the 5 best hair removal laser devices UK in 2020 & reviews - June 7, 2020
- The Best Percussion Massage Guns UK to Buy in 2020 After a comprehensive study, we find the best percussion massage guns UK 2020 for you - June 6, 2020